Monday, April 25, 2016

Missionary Packages (October 2015)

My little brother, Taylor, is currently serving a mission in southern Texas. Taylor will spend the next two years in this area sharing the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. While he's on his mission, he is only permitted to call home on Christmas and Mother's Day. The rest of the time we only correspond by email or snail mail. 

Derek's sister Hannah, is also serving a mission. Young women who serve missions for our church are only gone for a year and a half. Hannah has been in Kirtland, Ohio since February. 

As you can imagine, I miss my younger siblings! They are some of my best friends in the world, and it's hard to have them gone, especially to think of all they are missing out on in Palmer's life. But I am so grateful for the work they are doing. I know they are serving the Lord with all their hearts, and so many blessings will (and have already) come of it. 


A couple weeks ago I put together a fun package for each of them. Missionaries LOVE getting mail, and packages are even better :) 

I got the idea from this blog, but I tweaked it quite a bit, so I thought I'd share my version of it here with you. Feel free to copy and/or adapt it for your missionaries--I know they'll love it!

The theme for this package comes from a talk by President Hinckley that was published in the 2000 (?) Ensign. In it he talked about the ten gifts every missionary should get from their mission. Each gift for Taylor and Hannah has a matching envelope. On the front I wrote the number and name of the gift. 











On the back of the envelope was a little phrase that tied in the treat or gift I had for them with the gift that President Hinckley spoke about. 






(Apparently I never took a picture of #6! It said something about the Holy Spirit always coming to your "aid" as long as you're worthy :))





Inside each envelope was a quote from the talk. 


Here's what the finished product looked like. 


(Taylor's)

(Hannah's)


I haven't heard from Hannah yet, but Taylor got his package last week and it's safe to say he's elated :) I had so much fun with this little project and it lifted my spirits to know how much it would mean to them! They are both such astoundingly great people--I'm so blessed to have them in my life :) 

I hope you can use this for your own missionary! If you do, let me know how it goes!






















No comments:

Post a Comment